Sunday, January 5, 2014

Go See The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Form Your Own Opinion)

I have been inspired to write again after a 3 month hiatus. I convinced my mother to go see Ben Stiller play a serious role! That's impressive people, round of applause please. Anyway today I saw the Secret Life of Walter Mitty and I have mixed reactions to this movie. Usually I'm more into action or thriller type movies but seeing commercials for this movie touched a special part of my heart. Is it sad that I saw a bit of myself in the character, Walter? There sparked a fear of growing older and living a life of mediocrity. Ok that word is a little harsh, more like complacency or unfulfilled. Walter loves his job; he lives for his job and goes through the motions of everyday life. Is it scary to think my life could be the same? Do others have that fear too?



I sympathized with, related to, and and yet loathed Ben Stiller's character in the movie. I felt sympathy for his contentment in life and his father passing. I related to the part of him that realized he wanted something different for his life and went for it. But I realized that the whole adventure in this movie was because he wanted to spark the attention of a woman! It was in that aspect of the movie that I loathed him.

Where is the person that decides they want to make a change in their life for themselves? I know I am not the only person that wants to see themselves as a particular character they are watching on the big screen. Some want to be Katniss (Hunger Games) other see themselves as young Simba in the Lion King. Whatever the character, relating is inevitable and maybe a piece of you aspires to have their characteristics: courage, spontaneity, passion etc,.

 I realize that technically he did want a change in his life, he was lonely and wanted to share his life with someone else. I guess what I am getting at is this movie did not break past the surface. The go-getter message conveyed merely stepped out of the kiddie pool and lurked in the shallow end of the big pool. I think a better story would have been if Walter discovered (or really re-discovered) himself for himself, not for the approval of the opposite sex. Finding yourself seems to be a theme that is missing in the cinematic world. Instead the ultimate goal is a happy ending with significant other. Now this is not going to turn into some rant about feminist views, all that is being stated is where is that strong individual at the end, not necessarily a power couple?

My next step is to read the short story written by James Thurber and go from there. I did enjoy the movie and would encourage others to go see it for themselves to form an opinion about it. This film so eagerly wanted to encourage a strong message ("To see things thousands of miles away, things hidden behind walls and within rooms, things dangerous to come to, to draw closer, to see and be amazed"), it scratched the surface with good intentions, but somehow lacked depth.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE MOVIE??????


Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. 
                                                                                      Philippians 4 6-7

No comments: