Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Exploring NYC 1

I sit at one of the 50 plus Starbucks that are near me in this grand city on Manhattan Island. The internet at my apartment is almost impossible to use during peak hours, so I am forced out of the apartment to blog and people watch. The people in NYC are so eccentric, especially the people that sit around me here at this moment. They are so engaged in their conversations; I absolutely love it!

Well anyway I am here to share about my weekend of wandering through the city. The Lord was good to us because the weather was wonderful Saturday and Sunday. Today, well the rain here is a different story. I finally had enough energy to go out and explore the city.

SATURDAY

My new friends Ashley and Jessica, from work/apartment building ventured past the Financial District over to South Street Seaport.  Amongst the bustle of the area, there were storefronts boarded up from popular shops such as American Eagle and The Body Shop. Even though Hurricane Sandy came through and left it mark on the area, most of the shops were open for business. There were also plenty of street vendors selling local items.. It was there we found the cutest store, Christmas in New York, where it is always the most wonderful time of the year. We made a reservation to eat out on the deck at a restaurant, Cabana Nuevo Latina. It probably wasn't the best thing because it was a bit windy near the water, but hey it's New York! Do as the locals do. Rain or Shine! Speaking of locals, I saw the plate of the man sitting next to me and didn't care what the dish was, I knew I wanted it! It was a good choice too, Coco Cabana Pollo, which consisted of chicken breast, potatoes, green peas, broccoli, carrots, spinach, yuca, calabaza, coconut milk, curry, and peppers topped with rice. Oh gosh it was delicious. I think I may start ordering like that more often. See what a local is eating and literally point it out the waiter and order. The only problem with that is I might be afraid when I get the check!







Our next stop: CENTRAL PARK! This is byfar one of my favorite places in New York City! It is the perfect place to take in the city in a relaxing manner. It is so breezy and lush from the trees. The people that linger in this humungous place are so interesting, whether it's the guy guarding the memorial for John Lennon in Strawberry Fields (btw there are no strawberries there, I know how unfortunate) to an improv salsa class or a group of college students picnicking in the grass, there is so much to see and do here. While at this beautiful place, we met up with my friend Tanya (she works with us and we go to school together). On our way out of the park we even stopped to watch a group of street performers (or should I say "park performers". Not only did they put on a good little acrobatic dance show, they were crazy funny! We ended the evening on the rooftop of our apartment building where we get an awesome panoramic view of the inner city including the One World Trade Center, the Empire State Building, and East River.
















SUNDAY

Jessica and I decided to venture over to the piers of East River where we saw the cutest dog park! We are both obsessed with dogs, and any dog person is good in my book. We made our way back up and ended up in Chelsea neighborhood where we found the most awesome street market. The vendors set up shot each weekend and it is basically like an outdoor thrift store. I saw some awesome finds: vintage pillbox hats, actual 90s Dr Martens, fur coats and tons of turquoise jewelry. I am definitely going to check this place out more often and buy something in the future, after a paycheck or too.

We met up with Ashley later in the evening to attempt to get a glimpse at stars on the red carpet of the Tony Awards at Radio City Music Hall. Jessica swore she saw Neil Patrick Harris; moments like that I curse my short height. There was not much to see other than the tons of non-famous people walking past us in beautiful gowns and tuxedos making their way to the ceremony. Since we could not see the Broadway stars, we went to the next best place, Ellen's Stardust Diner, the place where Broadway wannabes work! We got a great show at a fraction of a Broadway ticket cost. Plus I got a huge plate of food. 





No comments: